Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Don't try to rob a bank in France


A day of rest in town....the quaint and lovely town of Combourg. We had lunch at L'Orangerie with Patrick (Pat-wreak is how you say his name En Francais). Stephane was speaking French to Patrick, as was my Mom. Kenny and I would pretty much nod and have little or no idea what they were talking about, it's how we roll. Anyhow, Patrick turns to Stephane and says:

"Wow, your French is very good"

Stephane says "I studied a lot in school, I am French".

Patrick must have assumed that Stephane was American since he was with us, in which case, his French was very good, lol. To be honest, Stephane's English is very good too. A good friend of mine recently said that to be truly fluent in another language, you must understand the humor and slang of that language. I guess, if that is the case, I am not fluent in English! haha~

After our delicious lunch and HOMEMADE Chocolate Mousse (OMG!)...we went to the Postale to mail our post cards. While Mom and I were mailing post cards, Kenny and Stephane went to the bank to exchange my American dollars into Euro. Stephane asked the banker if he could exchange this money at their bank, since some banks do not offer a currency exchange. The banker informs Stephane that "they do not have any money". Stephane said, "what do you mean? Is this a joke, aren't you a bank?". I suppose that is one way to save money while traveling, eh? Don't try and rob a bank in France, people, they don't have any money.

This evening, we had drinks with my cousin's family, John and Marjorie, at their wonderful home in Combourg. Marjorie has a knack for planting and has some of the most beautiful planters I have seen. John is most certainly a captivating story teller. I would like to sit and write a book on their travels and experiences. We truly enjoyed their time.

John and Marjorie

Gimme summa dat!

Then we went on to have a feast with our spunky French amis, Sonia. My Mom promised Sonia that she would make her famous chocolate cookies. This photograph of Sonia is of her coveting the cookies like a king protects his gold. Sonia, even though I speak very little French, is so animated and funny. I couldn't understand a lot of what she was saying, but still found myself laughing quite a lot.

This was our last day in Combourg and we truly celebrated our time here. I cannot wait to return to this town someday.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment