Friday, March 15, 2013

It's Raining Leaves?

Ahhh, Spring is in the air. The crisp breeze, the green making its way across the land, blue skies, birds chirping...Time to do the first lawn trim of the year.

I get out in the yard, mower, edger, leaf blower, extension cords...check. I put oil and gasoline in the mower, checked the levels, raised the wheels. I pushed in the choke and started pulling. 25 minutes later, I got the dang thing started....puttering, coughing, inching along, and even the mower was having a little trouble. 

Now: I have a sore back and shaky arms.

Anyhow, I whizzed through the back yard in no time. As soon as I moved to the front yard, the mower started SMOKING. I turned it off, noticed that it was leaking a little oil or gas or something dark brown. I went over and grabbed the edger (allowing the mower could cool off so I could rinse the residue off for a closer look). When I went to plug the edger into the extension cord, the end of the cord disassembled itself from the edger and whacked me in the cheek.

Now: I have a sore back, shaky arms and a pending black eye.

I finished edging the yard and decided to use the blower. Yeah, I know, I wasn't done mowing, but I got the blower for Christmas and really wanted to play with it. 

That is when I "learned" that when it is windy outside and you don't properly place the tip of the blower, you get a tidal wave of leaves blown all over yourself. It happened more than once. The most fun was when I accidentally blew an ant pile. Yeah, that was my favorite.

Now: I have a sore back, shaky arms, a pending black eye, welts from grass debris and ants in my pants.

I shut the blower down and went over to the lawn mower. Now that the mower isn't on fire, I can roll. I guess it had to burn off the "midnight oil" and then it seemed fine...(sounds like my life).
I finished mowing and the last little turn, a stick was catapulted to the side and that one sliver of wood made its way past my glasses and into my eye.

Now: I have a sore back, shaky arms, a pending black eye, welts from grass debris, ants in my pants, an obnoxiously other red eye and a nicely prepared Spring lawn.

So, once a week for the next 6 months, you can tune in to the comedy lawn and garden channel by watching me.....bring your umbrella, it's raining leaves!



No comments:

Post a Comment