Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Alabama Native.

My parents moved to Alabama (no teasing allowed) where my Dad began working for a Pharmaceutical company. I don't know when we moved there, but I started Kindergarten in Alabama. We lived in a split level house, quite the change from our one story homes in LA, and I had a window seat in my closet, on the second floor.....not sure if that was a smart architectural feature? It was a cool one though. I remember that I loved to sit in that window.
We also had a basement and 2 poodles. One morning, my Mom went down to the basement to do the laundry and saw a RAT, not a mouse, a RAT. My Dad comes downstairs to see what the ruckus is about, only to find me standing on the floor and my Mom standing on an appliance screaming "RAT". I was looking up at her (from the floor) asking "what's wrong Mommy"....

Now, I am that Mommy. The one that is calling my kid over to get the lizard out of the window seal, inside the house.


What is it about our childhood details that become increasingly blurred? I believe that we remember a lot of images that are solely based on the stories we hear as we are growing up. I am certain that if I went back to see that split level house, that seemed like a mansion, it would appear so much different than how my memory imprinted it.

There are some funny stories I want to tell you about growing up with horses, roosters, four wheelers, a motorcycle/dirt bike and living in a trailer park...
Yep, as if living in Alabama wasn't enough to tease me about, we lived in a green trailer too....with RATS.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment